Monday, February 8, 2010

February 7th Podcast What I've Learned

Pod casting is one of the newest uses of multimedia to further education. Teachers now can upload lesson's, lectures, and curriculum plans relatively easy on the Internet. This feature allows students access to vital information they may have missed. Parent's now can listen to what their children are being taught on a day to day basis; enabling them to discus what their children are being taught, make sure they understand the material, and make learning at home more effective.
Using podcast and blogging in the classroom promotes innovation, creativity, and interaction. Students who are absent from class can listen to or view assignments missed with ease. The skills learned from using multimedia in the classroom provides a skill set that is now required in our society. Technology will continue to advance. Students must be taught the uses and capacities of such technology so their knowledge does not become obsolete. We must change the views of parents and educators that do not understand the capabilities and benefits that blogging and podcast have.

2 comments:

  1. Great blog, I see pod-casting or live streaming as the best way for me to develop as a teacher and to involve myself in the community.

    If I can record my class and what I am doing with them, then I can review it and see what areas I can improve or that I wasn't terribly clear on.
    By the end of my first year I will have a library of class material in case I am absent or have a workshop.
    I can add and create until my lesson is almost as good digitally as it is in person, then I become two teachers; a teacher that can go through the lesson digitally while helping the children understand today's goals is a tool I may use at times.


    Connecting with parents/community to show them what Johnny did positively in class today can make a difference in participation.
    Parents get to know Mr. Fawcett, and respect what I am doing.
    Parents are busy and some may not be able to attend parents night/games and definitely not the lessons. Live-stream/pod-casting/blogging enables them and me to collaborate and work to do our jobs better-developing the child's potential.
    Community leaders can come in and participate adding diversity and a role model for children to follow...even if the can't attend school that day.

    No more law suits, no more disputes in a Individualized education plan meeting, and the school shows off its academics and school activities/sports.
    Community/parents are involved in the school.
    Children can show off their talents and be creative.
    All this for the price of a webcam or two and a microphone.......

    ReplyDelete
  2. So to be completely honest I never thought of using podcasts in that way. Personally I am not a big fan of podcasts, but now I see some of the benefits of using them. I like the fact if the class works with technology the children that miss class can listen to the podcasts on that days work and get caught up. So thanks for opening my eyes up to the benefits of podcast, maybe I won't dislike them as much now.

    ReplyDelete